Monday, July 18, 2011

"I hate that red truck...it takes away all my friends."--Molly Malone

 Saying goodbye is never easy--especially when you have been living, working, traveling, eating, laughing and crying with the same people for the past six months. At NPH new volunteers arrive every January and July and the volunteers that have been there for a year say their goodbyes.

Last Thursday we had our official despedida (goodbye party) for the volunteers that were leaving. The home gathered together and all of the sections preformed, sang, and danced in appreciation of the volunteers giving their time, love and energy over the past year. The evening was filled with many smiles, many hugs and a lot of tears. After the despedida all of the volunteers, new, old and in the middle (my group) went to La Familia, a family run bar/restuarant in Parramos, for drinks, dancing and a night of fun. It was so much fun to all be together for one last time, but at the same time I looked around the room and realized that some of my very close friends who have gotten my through the past six months and who had been such an integral part of my life here at NPH are about to leave.

The goodbyes started early the next morning with Michael and Meghan and continued throughout the weekend until this morning. I didn't realize how affected I would be by people leaving and the changes that were happening. Saturday and Sunday I woke up at 5am to send off Jess and Erika and as we watched the red NPH pickup truck pull out of the driveway for the third or fourth time Molly said, " I hate that red truck...it takes away all my friends." As sad as we all were that put a smile on our faces.

It was weird returning to the houses and having eveyone gone and going up to English and not having Jess be there. I made such amazing friendships over the past six months...ones that I hope to keep for a lifetime. We have shared so many ups and downs and so many firsts--something that links you forever.

Michael, Me, Moll, Jess, Katie and Meghan
Yvonne, Me, Jess, Katie, Erika and Moll
As sad as it is to start a new six months without the old volunteers I know when one window closes a door opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment