Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not so bad...

Coming back from an amazing vacation was a harsh reality. Vacation was so amazing and as it drew to an end I felt as if I should of been returning home (to the states) and not to NPH. Returning to NPH and getting back in to the routine of teaching and all of the activities was challenging. I began to miss home, the comforts it offers, and my friends and family. Up until now I have not been very homesick, but walking back into NPH on Saturday all I wanted was to see my family and friends who I have not seen for four months---and still another eight more to go. 

On Monday my classes were challenging and the kids were not motivated to do much after a week long break. It was a long day followed by an evening full of quinceañera practices and activities. I decided even though I was not having the best day I would head down to my section to see my girls since I had been gone for a week---I really missed them!

When I arrived they were all eating dinner outside and I could hear my name being shouted from across the field. I was greeted by screams of laughter, hugs and smiles. As they finished dinner it had gotten dark and we all got in a circle to pray (they pray before and after every meal---yet I have not idea what they are saying) and I was quickly surrounded by girls hanging on my arms, holding my hands and leaning against my legs. As we stood there in the dark huddled together I looked up at the sky full of stars, took a deep breath and remembered this is why I am here.

All of my notions of homesickness began to fade and I felt once again as if I am exactly where I am supposed to be. We spent the rest of the night cuddled on their beds talking about my vacation, sharing photos, doing homework and playing cards. As I left the section after saying "buenas noches" to all the girls and walked across the field back to my house I realized----coming back from vacation is not so bad after all.



How could you not smile when greeted by these faces?

1 comment: