Monday, January 24, 2011

And the School Year Begins!

Planning lessons in the English Department!


Today was the first day of classes for Molly, the other English teacher, and I. Our two-week orientation has come to an end and now it is time to get our feet wet in our jobs. The old volunteers are starting to leave and have passed the torches on to us to take over in their positions.

Girls from my Tercero Basico class!
In true Guatemalan style we learned that our 7am classes were canceled for the week after we had gotten up at 6am and gotten to work in time to teach our first class. I will not be teaching my Primero Basico (7th grade) class until next week, which has given me time to plan and get accustomed to the new schedule and teaching five different grades. My second class, Tercero Basico (9th grade) went really well and the students were happy to see me after my guest appearance last week. They seem like an eager group of students and they all really want to learn English. Some of the students live here at NPH and some of them are from the surrounding area, which means they have varying levels of English. We started the day off easy with talking about how to answer the question, how are you, we played a game, and then I took pictures of all of them with their nametags. There are so many students and so many names! All in all I would say it was a good first day! I am nervous and excited to get to know these students and to see what the rest of the school year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment