Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I am Really Here!



It wasn't until yesterday when I got thrown into teaching my classes a week early that I realized...wow I am here and living in Guatemala for the next year. I am really doing this. The past week and a half has been such a blur. Our days have been filled with meeting new people, learning about NPH and talking about what the year ahead holds for us. Yesterday when I stood up in front 17 students in my tercero básico class (the equivalent of 9th grade in the states) and introduced myself as their teacher for the next year it all became very real.

Overall I would say my first class went fairly well. As far as I know nobody used any bad words (I would know because the other English teachers gave us a list), they did not try and talk while I was talking and they seemed generally interested in what I had to say. So we will see if that continues! I will begin my other classes this coming Monday. I will be teaching a primero básico class (7th grade), a Segundo class (second grade), Etapa 1 (which is a special education class for students ranging from first to third grade), and one preschool Montessori class once a week! I am excited, but nervous to begin all of my classes, but I have been told being a teacher is one of the best jobs here. I have no doubts that it will be very difficult, but I am can’t wait to see how the year progresses….I am really here!

No comments:

Post a Comment