Saturday, April 9, 2011

90/365

Today marks my three month, 90 day, anniversary here at NPH. Molly and I made signs for each other to hang in our office to celebrate the day We went yesterday to pick up our renewed visas and I can stay for another three months. It is crazy to me how fast time is flying here. Some days are longer then others and some weeks drag on more so then others, but I can't believe I have already been here for a fourth of my time.

Some days I feel like I just got here and I am still learning the ropes and other days I feel so at home here and feel like I have been here forever. It is crazy to me how much can happen in three months and that only excites me to see what more will happen and what more I will do in the coming nine months. So far I have:

Camioneta (aka-old painted school buses)
-Mastered the art of riding a Camioñeta (chicken bus)
-Waited patiently under a tree until an avocado fell directly into my hands
-Met a pig and then ate it a few days later (I am pretty sure)
-Taught a class while girls sat at their desks and picked lice out of their hair
-Sat next to a man (very closely) on the bus as he plucked his chin hairs with two coins
-Bought groceries for the week for under five dollars
-Attempted to teach girls how to dance for
their quinceñera (15th birthday party)
-Traveled many times to the beautiful city of Antigua
The arch in Antigua and a street
performance!
-Grown accustomed to washing my dishes outside
-Celebrated my birthday Guatemalan style
-Eaten at many delicious restaurants
-Found a new favorite drink...a liquado
(fruit, ice and water in the blender)
-Spent more time in a hammock then ever before
-Climbed a volcano and roasted marshmallows at the top
-Visited and swam in the most beautiful lake I have ever seen
-Relaxed on a beautiful beach and body surfed in huge waves
-Helped set baby sea turtles free
-Figured (well I am still in the process of figuring) out
how to teach kids over the age of four (aka. high schoolers)
-Made many new and amazing friends from all over the world
-Spoken more Spanish then ever before
-Met many amazing children who I am quickly falling in love with
-Seen more poverty and beauty in one country
then I ever new possible
Marshmallow roasting!
Can't beat that view!

No better way to celebrate 25!
Relaxing weekend at the beach!
New friends with cool shades (Me, Regine and Nanna)
My girls (Enma, Flor, Pamela and Adela)
Mi amor---Marvin!
I can only imagine what more is to come in the upcoming months! I am excited and nervous in the same breath for all the adventures and experiences that I know await me. Some easier then others and some happier then others, but all the same experiences that will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment