Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thank you AppleTree!

Kevin's token board!
So working for AppleTree has really payed off over the past few months while I  embarked on my new teaching career here in Guatemala. I have some very challenging students, from preschool through high school. and whenever I have a problem with a student I think about what I would do if I was at AppleTree...even with my high schoolers some of the same technics have payed off. 

My second grade class is my most challenging class of them all. It is a class full of 23 very energetic seven and eight year olds. The class is a mix of students from NPH and students from the surrounding towns. Most of the children have not had easy lives up until now, many have been neglected or abused, and they are all trying to come to terms with their day to day lives and how to cope in this environment. For some this is much easier then others.

So proud!
Kevin is one of my most difficult students and for the first few months of school I did not know how to approach him or how to try and get him to change his behavior. He was not motivated to learn and participate in class and he made it hard from the others who were trying to pay attention. Kevin ran around the classroom, threw people's papers and markers at them, threw my belongings across the room, and was being physical with me and the other students. It wasn't until a month or so had passed that is hit me...Kevin needs a token board... he needs a tier 2. So I made him a token board where he could receive points for staying in his seat, raising his hand, keeping his hands to himself and other tasks throughout the class period. Then together, Kevin and I, came up with a few different prizes he could earn if he was able to accomplish his goal and receive four points each class period. I showed the token board to a few teachers and the guidance counselor and they were all amazed. They wanted to know where I learned to make such a thing and if I could teach the other teachers how to do so. Thanks Appletree!

I have been implementing the token board with Kevin for almost a month now and his behavior has improved drastically. He tries very hard each class to earn points and he knows when he has not done so and is able to admit it. Kevin has been trying to earn enough points to be able to get a soccer ball---his ultimate prize!! Today was the day! He earned enough points on the token board and he was able to earn the soccer ball. Kevin was so proud of himself....the smile on his face is something I will never forget.

Kevin...a happy camper with his new ball!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Thayer! That is great news about Kevin. So happy that AppleTree has followed you all the way to Guatamala! -Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thayer, I am so glad that things are going well in Guatemala! Your work with Kevin is inspiring! Thank you for taking a little bot o' AppleTree with you.

    ReplyDelete