Thursday, October 6, 2011

To California and back again

Last Saturday I flew from Guatemala City to Houston, where I had a lay over before heading to San Francisco for my brother and Jenn's wedding. When I got off the plane in Houston everything was different. No one was speaking Spanish. I could not longer use my Quetzales and everything was SO expensive. When I said "perdón" on the escalator no one moved aside. When I said good afternoon to people who passed by they looked at me like I had ten heads. I could not figure out how to use my American cell phone...it has a touch screen. I could not remember my Starbucks order and made a fool out of myself in line to get a coffee. And everyone and everything was moving so fast. It felt like the world was speeding by in front of me.

After a long day of flying I made it to San Francisco and met mom in the airport and the festivities began. My mom and I spent the next week running around getting me a dress and doing last minute errands for Caleb and Jenn. On Wednesday all our family started to arrive and I got to see Hannah and Dad after nine months, which was amazing and much needed, and on Thursday Sarah got there!!!!!!

What a friend...Sarah flew across the country for two days to
 be my date to the wedding! Us at the rehearsal dinner.
Ab, Han, Sarah and I at the rehearsal dinner.
Mom and Dad--so happy!
The following three days were a blur of happiness, family, friends, love, really good food, music and drinks. Friday night was the rehearsal dinner at an amazing Italian restaurant in the Mission district and Saturday was the big day! We spent the morning getting our hair done, drinking wine and champagne and waiting for the ceremony to begin. When five o'clock hit we descended the stairs, all in gray with beautiful flowers, and led Jenn down the asile (aka the dock and the beach). The South End Rowing Club, where the wedding and reception was held, had been completely transformed and was breathtaking. The railings and tables were covered with flowers and twinkling lights hung from above.

The Jugtown Pirates...the band!
Sun setting over the Golden Gate Bridge
 during the reception...beautiful!
As the sun shown out from behind the clouds our family and friends gathered together on a small patch of beach to be apart of Caleb and Jenn's wedding. The tide was not cooperating and the water was lapping up over our feet, the clouds parted and the sun shown down and Caleb and Jenn said "I DO"! The ceremony was followed by an amazing dinner, singing, dancing, drinking, toasting, swimming, celebrating and more.
"I do."
Family photo...all six of us!
The week went too fast and the time with family and friends was too short, but well worth it. The next two days we all spent recuperating from the weekend and enjoying the last few days all together. Tuesday morning I got back on a plane and headed back to Guatemala. When I arrived in the Guatemala airport everyone was speaking Spanish. I turned off my American cell phone, put my quetzales back in my wallet and said "buenas noches" to people passing by and was greeted in return. I can't believe it is already October and that the wedding is over because I have been looking forward to this all year, but time flies and I have already been to California and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment