Sunday, October 23, 2011

When you give a girl a puppy

The "NPH" dog (aka the stray dog that the children have taking a liking to over the years) is loved and cared for by most here at NPH. She walks with the kids to and from school, she comes to visit the volunteers, she wanders outside the comedor looking for food, but her go to location is behind the girls house where some of the girls have built her a little house. Manchas (the dog's name due to the fact that she is black with brown and white coloring) recently had a litter of puppies which have joined her in her home behind the girls house. There were five little puppies that the girls cared for and brought food to until they were old enough to go to their respective homes.

Lupe and Estrella checking in on the puppies.
The puppies were too cute and I went to check on them regularly with the girls. I fell in love with one in particular and told the girls how much I wish I could have it, although I knew I never could because I live with seven other people.
Two months old and ready to find a home
When I got back from California the girls told me that I needed to come down to the section because they had a surprise for me. When I got down there they told me to close my eyes and put out my hands and they placed one of the puppies in my hands. They told me they saved it for me and that it was a gift. All the other puppies had been taken by employees at NPH and they told me they had saved this one especially for me. How could I break it to them that I can not have a puppy in the house? They were so excited to give him to me. It took every inch of strength I had to tell them I had to check with my housemates before taking it home...all I wanted to do was stuff the puppy under my sweatshirt and sneak him into my house, but I figured before long the others would find out. Unfortunately I could not take the puppy, but another employee was able to find him a home. It was the thought that counts.
"My" little puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment