Saturday, December 10, 2011

From the Heart

I recently wrote an email to friends and family asking for donations for my preschool English classroom. Many of them responded with open hearts and I could not be more thankful. The classroom is coming together and I can't wait to see the finished product. The kids are also super excited that we have our own English classroom and they are looking forward to the start of the new school year.

I received an email last week from a family friend and her daughter, Carly, is going to do a project at her school to collect donations to send to NPH. I was so touched when I received the email and wanted to share it with everybody.

Thank you Carly from me and from all my little kiddies here at NPH!


Journal #1
Explain what you are doing for the project. Explain why you chose to do this project. Who or what is it helping? What do you anticipate your duties to be during the 4 hour minimum?

For my service learning project, I am going to collect money and school supplies for a preschool for orphans in Guatemala. I am going to put collection boxes in some different areas, such as Cutler School, Winthrop School, the Hamiton-Wenham library, and I will send out an email to my friends and family teaching them about the needs of this particular school and asking them to make donations. If everyone donates even a dollar, we could pay for pencils, pens and other supplies for many orphans. 
Here is how I learned about the preschool in need. I happened to get an email from our good family friend, Thayer Lawson, who is working as an English teacher for orphans in Guatemala. She asked many people for donations, supplies and furniture for this preschool classroom which is now just an empty room. I love helping children that are less fortunate than I am, so when my mom told me about this email, I knew that this would be my project. During the four hours, I plan to make posters, send emails, put collection boxes in different places, get supplies, and send the donations to our family friend who will then send them to their daughter in Guatemala.    

No comments:

Post a Comment