Friday, August 5, 2011

Mom makes it to Guate!


Time is flying by and weeks are passing in moments it seems like and yes the time has come for my mom to make her way to Guatemala. I had been crossing off the days on my calendar until two weeks ago when I made my way to the airport and anxiously awaited my mom's flight to land. This has been the longest time, by far, that I have gone without seeing my parents and I could not control my excitement while I was waiting outside the airport, along with a hundred other people. My mom arrived safely and I ran to greet her--from this point on we basically spent the next two weeks holding hands. I would not let her go!


We started our time off at the most amazing/cozy hotel in Antigua, called Casa Encantada. Our room was through a beautiful living room and then we had to step on stones over a pond that was lined with candles. Amazing! We spent the rest of the day getting settled, talking, looking at all the fun things she had brought me from the states and then we had a drink on the roof and went out to an amazing dinner. This was just the beginning. We spent the next few days exploring Antigua, shopping, drinking Gallos (the beer here) and eating sweet potato fries, resting and just enjoying being together.

Entry way to our room at Casa Encantada!
Mom enjoying the lounge chairs by the pool!
Enjoying Gallos (beer) at the Sky Cafe--beautiful view.
Famous Arch in Antigua.
Family band on the streets of Antigua.
After a few days in the city we made our way out to Lake Atitlan to spend a few days at the world famous Casa del Mundo--the most beautiful and relaxing place on Earth. We were dropped off on the dock where we then had to climb over a hundred stairs up to the hotel. The stairs wound through beautiful gardens with a view of the lake. Our room for the weekend was literally on the water. Laying in bed you felt as if you were on a boat--the most amazing view of the lake and the volcanoes. We spend out time at Casa del Mundo doing absolutely nothing!! We drank coffee and tea, swam, lay in the sun, read, drank beers, swam more, had delicious meals, and slept. It was the most relaxing weekend. After two heavenly days at the lake we drove back so mom could see life in action at NPH.
Welcome to Casa del Mundo! 
View of the lake/volcanoes---so beautiful!
The dock of Casa del Mundo!
View from our room!
Our spot for the weekend!
Enjoying our beers and the lake.
SUNSET!

It was so fun to finally show my mom what I had been doing for the past six months, the life I have been living, my job and the students, and the kids that I have fallen in love with. My mom came to classes, visited my section, took a full tour of NPH and she quickly began to understand why I love being here and why I have been so happy over the past six months. The kids in my class loved meeting her and practicing their English with her, my girls in my section were extremely grateful for the magazines and chocolates she brought and all the kids could not stop saying "se parecen", which means you look alike. We quickly realized that a week was not long enough for my mom to get a real feel for NPH and for us to be together so lucky for me she extended her stay a few extra days.



Mom and my girls (Lupe, Esme and Juana)!

Katherine, Yohana and Juana showing off
their magazines from the states.
Molly and I in between classes.
Me with Manuela and Lucia (second graders)
Now a photo with mom!
Favorite place in Parramos-the ice cream store.
Rosa could not get enough of mom.
Oh José-wearing mom's glasses!
With my favorites!

What did we do with the four extra days?? Spent a few more days hanging out with the kids and my friends at NPH, walked down to Paramos to show my mom our favorite spots (the ice cream store and the bar...haha) and returned to Casa del Mundo for a night!!!!! Great trip! Great memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment