Sunday, August 28, 2011

Waffles turned pancakes turned cake!

Two weeks ago I was supposed to have project with Luis, one of the special education students, and his friend Benito. Unfortunately parasites were attacking my stomach and I had to cancel. Luis was very upset, but I promised we would do the project the following week. This past Monday rolled around and Luis was at the English room door asking, "proyecto hoy tia?" He wanted to know if we were going to have the project on Monday. I told him that we were going to have the project on Thursday at 4pm. For the next three days, at least three times a day, I had Luis showing up at my window in English saying, "proyecto...jueves...4...si??" Yes Luis we are having project on Thursday at 4pm. The next conversation was what are we going to do for project. I had had such success with waffles over the past few projects I suggested that. Luis was just so excited he could not decide. Every time he came to visit this week he suggested that we do something different, from going to Parramos, to making a cake, to a movie, to pancakes, to waffles, to buying hair gell...who knows. I decided to make the executive decision and waffles it was!

I told Luis I would come pick him up at his section at 4pm yet at 3:30 on Thursday Luis was ready and waiting outside the English room. I had all the materials to make waffles and watch Cars, Luis loves cars and trucks so that was a big hit. We made the batter and as I plugged in the waffle maker the electricity went out...how convenient. What now? I decided the best choice was to run home and make pancakes on the stove top while Sam stayed and hung out with Luis. As I was leaving Luis kept saying, "Vas a hacer un pastel...si tia?". He wanted to know if I was going to make a cake and I told him that I was going to make pancakes. His response, "No tia...un pastel por favor." Luis really wanted a cake. Now what? 

I ran home and made the two biggest pancakes ever--they took up the whole pan. Then I covered them in chocolate frosting that was left over from Nanna's project and found a little powdered sugar---it was the best looking cake I have ever seen. I brought the cakes/pancakes back up to English and Luis was so excited he could barely speak. His only response was,  "un pastel...un pastel!!!!!" Yes Luis a cake...just for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment