Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Time Really Flies!


I can’t believe I have already been here for close to a month. The past month has been so busy…I am now fully moved into my house and I am a week and a half into my new teaching position. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself that I am in Guatemala! I am living in volunteer house number 4 with seven other volunteers, from the States, Germany, Belgium and Holland. It is nice to no longer be living out of a suitcase and to be settled into a place that I am going to be calling home for the next year.

Fatima girls!!!

School is also in full swing and I have been teaching two to three classes a day. I teach 7th and 9th grade every morning for an hour and then I teach second grade and a special education class twice a week and a preschool class on Fridays. My older classes are challenging, but it is giving me a different perspective on teaching and it is nice to be trying something new. My second grade class is wild, but adorable and I am using my AppleTree discipline with them already…got a sticker chart and all! I had my special education class today and the littlest of the bunch is an eight year old named Luis. He is too cute for words and he can’t pronounce my name so he has been calling me “Teacher Player” instead of Thayer.  All in all classes are going well, but I am really looking forward to teaching my one preschool class on Friday…then I will have taught all five classes at least once.

Photo booth fun!!!
Last night I went to have dinner and hang out with my section of girls again. They are a group of sixteen girls/young ladies with a lot of charisma. They are right on the border of being little girls still and becoming teenagers, yet they never seem to get tired of wrapping their arms around me or resting their head on my lap. We had a photo shoot and were in hysterics over photos that we took on my photo booth. 

Time really does fly.....when you are having fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment