Sunday, February 13, 2011

What is your name?

When I was little I used to hate my name because no one ever understood what I was saying. I used to always have to repeat myself over and over and spell my name out for people. As I got older I took pride in having a different name. I liked when people would ask me about my name and tell me how original or beautiful it was. 

In the past month or so, since I have been in Guatemala, I have again been questioning what my parents were doing naming me Thayer. Clearly they were not thinking about the time I would spend abroad in a Spanish speaking country. In the Spanish language there is no “th” sound so pronouncing my name correctly is virtually impossible.

While introducing myself over the past six weeks, to kids, tios/tias and other volunteers alike, these are the responses I have received.

“What is your name?"
“Can you say that again?"
“Is that a common name in the states?"
“Taller”
“Teacher Player”
“Fea”
"Fayer"
“Seor”
“Tire”
“Taylor”
“There”

So what is comes down to is Mom and Dad what were you thinking.....

3 comments:

  1. Haha I feel you so far this year I've gotten: Ms. Licks, Ms. Witch, Ms. Wisk, Ms. Fisk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had....shirley, silver and best of all...starlight! Unreal...and I don't even teach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! Love the blog Thayer! Italians can't pronounce the "th" either so when I was in Rome I often just accepted the fact they were going to call me Mary or Maria..oh well.

    Keep up the posting!

    ReplyDelete