Monday, February 7, 2011

Weekend at the Lake

When I say weekend at the lake I know what most of you are envisioning. You are envisioning a lake in the north, for example Lake Winnipesaukee, which is surrounded by trees with docks sticking out into the lake to tie up a canoe or a rowboat. Erase that vision because when I say weekend at the lake that is not what I mean.  When I say weekend at the lake this is what I mean. Breathtaking.




This past weekend almost all of the volunteers piled into cars and vans and drove a few hours, on very bumpy and curvy roads, to take a vacation at Lake Atitlán. Karla, another volunteer and the first Guatemalan volunteer NPH has ever had, and her boyfriend Miguel nicely offered up Miguel’s house on the lake for a weekend of relaxation and fun. We arrived late Friday night and trekked down at least two hundred stone steps through trees and darkness. I had no idea where we were or what to expect when we woke up the next morning. After a late evening, or early morning, of dancing, eating and drinking we all made our way up the bunkhouse where all the bedrooms were for a few hours of rest. When we woke up the next morning I was not prepared for the view that I saw. I walked outside of the bunkhouse and this is what I saw. A lake surrounded by the most beautiful mountains and volcanoes.


 After an amazing breakfast we made our way down to the dock for a day of sun, swimming, boating, soccer and fun! We spent the day in and out of the water, kayaking, trying to balance on a surfboard, jumping off the roof of the dock, enjoying the sun and trying to take in the beauty surrounding us. As the sun began to set we made our way back up to the house for a dinner of steak, sausage, salad, chips, guacamole, and more.  The rest of the evening was a mix of games, such as twister, dancing, drinking and laughing.






Sunday we all got up, enjoyed some delicious coffee thanks to Max, cooked up another amazing breakfast out on the porch, and cleaned up the house. No one wanted to leave this amazing place. We all trudged back up the two hundred and something stairs, took one last look behind us at the lake and jumped back into the cars and vans to return to NPH. This weekend was a weekend of much needed relaxation and fun! Muchas gracias a Karla y Miguel por todo!!!!





3 comments:

  1. Thayer, The photos are breathtaking! They actually take my breathe away. I cannot believe you are really there. What a fun time!! Loving your blog!
    xo Cindy
    (I don't think you are missing our snowy, icy, miserable winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denada! And thank you for these words, they mean so much. I am glad you had a good time, I had a great time too. Hopefully we'll get to do it again.
    PS.
    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bear,

    I'm sooo jealous! that looks unbelievable. And I thought vermont was breathtaking (hah!) I'm sure your weekend away from NPH was much needed and much deserved. Missing you lots and loving your blog :)

    xox Bazyl

    ReplyDelete