Saturday, January 28, 2012

That's a wrap....

My thirteen months in Guatemala have come and gone faster then lightening. I am now sitting in the Houston airport and realizing that I am back in the States...not just for vacation, but to stay. Everyone is speaking English, I have to pay with dollars, there is not any Gallo to order at the bar and no one feels the need to say buenas tardes/good afternoon when they walk by each other. I can't even begin to describe or sum up the past year that I have spent in Guatemala...but what I can say is that it was for sure the time of my life.

I went into this year not knowing exactly what to expect, but everything that I experienced, everything that I saw and everyone that I have met were above and beyond my expectations. I had the opportunity to come to a beautiful country, learn about and experience another culture, speak another language, teach and spend time with some amazing children and live/travel/work/laugh/cry/dance/sing with the craziest group of friends a girl could try and find.

As I got on to the airplane today (crying my eyes out like a baby) I looked out the window and I could not help but think about all the experiences I have had this year. I have spent many a night with a group of girls that I have grown to love...acting like a 13 year old again, dancing around to pop music, braiding hair, making friendship bracelets, gossiping about boys and just hanging out. I have worked my butt off to try and teach kids English and come up with creative lesson plans to finally in the end of the year start to see things click. I have traveled to the most beautiful places I could have ever imagined....from Lake Atitlan, to Semuc Champey, to El Salvador and the islands of Honduras. I have met the most amazing people with genuine personalities, big hearts, crazy dance moves and a great sense of humor.

I can't believe it is time for this chapter of my life to come to an end, but I know that the memories I have made and the people that I have met will be in my heart forever.

1 comment:

  1. welcome home thayer. it must be so incredibly bittersweet. those kids were so lucky to have you in their lives for a whole year and there is no doubt in my mind that you left a lasting impression on each and every one of them.

    love you so much and can't wait until we see each other again!

    ReplyDelete